Saturday, January 21, 2006

Is My House Going To Get Clean Again?

My color is blue today. Not necessarily a depressing blue but blue all the same. We bought a major fixer upper the 1st of November and everytime I think we get something done, we have hardly begun. I think the house work suffers because we do things to fix instead of clean. We put in new floors, but not the molding, we fixed the dry rot around the 10 foot window, but not the molding. We put in carpet down stairs, but not the molding. We painted the uppstairs but are yet to finish all of the downstairs. We washed the windows but they won't come clean, so we need sheer curtains for over them. We have started repairing the steps but have yet to finish. We haven't even started on the laundry room, which looks like a big roller coaster of pipes all over the walls and ceiling. Some of the pipes actually go across the window. We haven't started on the egress windows for the basement either. The roof leaks and needs replaced but it rains so much here that we will have to wait until summer. The wood work on the outside of the windows is in bad shape and is starting to rot, and the outside definitely needs painted. This is only a partial list but as you can see, we have a lot on our hands. We bought the fixer upper because we needed a large house, there are 8 of us, and we wanted a bigger lot than normal. We got a half acre plus an inground pool. This was a big plus because we love to swim and have lived in a place where we had an inground pool and we used it 6 out of the 7 days a week. The back and front yard have auto sprinklers and it is 2600 square feet. We have 5 bedrooms and 2 baths and want to put another bath in downstairs. So you can see there are some plusses to the old house. It also has some charm, it was built in the 40's and has a cape cod look. The roof lines are very tall. In a couple of years it will be very nice, well, maybe a few more than a couple. So, instead of cleaning we have a tendancy to put up molding, paint, fix the leaks in the roof, or repair problem spots on the walls or ceiling. I did try to do some cleaning today. I got my bed made and the downstairs vacuumed but then I started organizing boxes yet to be unpacked and putting up coat racks and pictures. It was good to get those out of the way, but my living room leaves a little to be desired, along with the boys room. We do enjoy our fixer house though. Onward I shall go and hope tomorrow is cleaner. I have begun to work late into the night!

Part of my day was spent with my horses and what fun I had. I only cleaned the barn and petted them, but my husband and our friend helped us do some rearranging of the pastures so the horses are seperated. My pony is very mean to my quarter horse. It was nice to spend time with them because in this weather I tend to ignore them. We were so muddy by the time we were done and I had to shower the dog! I must be off now because we are all cleaned up and I want to accomplish SOME cleaning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Kanga! I too am an Oregonian...I live in Portland. I discovered Mrs. Darling's blog thru OregonBlogs, which I'm also a member of, and I've been branching out and visiting other blogs from her links and commenters whenever I make a visit to her site. I don't belong to Blogspot but I still want to welcome you to the world of blogging and I hope it ends up being as wonderful an experience for you as it has been for me. I've been blogging since April 2005 and I've made some great new friends in cyberspace. I didn't know a thing about setting up a blog when I first started either...I probably STILL wouldn't know anything if my daughter wasn't around to help me out when I get stuck, haha! Please come over and say hello when you get a chance...the door's always open. All you have to do is click on my name and it'll take you to my journal. Hope this finds you doing well...here's to SUNSHINE!! They're saying it's supposed to start drying out but seeing is believing, lol! And my Dear Hubby and I also have a fixer-upper, 1912-style. It's frustrating but fun, too!

Kanga said...

Nice to meet you Miss Kriss. I've decided the sun doesn't shine here. I will visit you often as I am just meeting new friends. I am happy for you to be one of my first! Thanks for the encouragement. I wouldn't have the site I have if it wasn't for Mrs. Darling either.