Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To Work We Go

I've discoverd that I like the color blue. It makes me happy! So, without further ado, it's off to work I go. I managed to crawl out of bed this morning to realize we would need to get some wood this morning. My husband, wise old Owl, has known this for quite some time but I refused to beleive it. You see, if I beleived it, I would have to do something about it. So, this morning I decided to join his team and help him get wood. Not in the traditional sense, mind you. We went Dumpster Diving. Yes, it's true, we went dumpster diving. Not into the traditional neighbors apartment dumpsters, but mill's dumpsters. We had to take my neice home and new my sister, who was wonderful to do this once for us, had gotten some for free. Where we live, they charge you for it. So over the river and through the woods we went. The first place we went to said it was 5 dollars a scoop and our trailer would hold 4 scoops. We thought "20.00 isn't so bad" til he told us his scoop was bad and we would have to hand load it. We said "is there a discount?" Nope!!! Off we went to find another place. We get there and indeed we can get the wood they have. There wasn't much but we could open the dumpster doors and dig through the saw dust and take what we wanted. We were more than happy to do this being it was free. We love free stuff, it helps us stay on a budget. There was only about a 1/3 of a load but it was better than nothing. Next thing we know these guys keep coming up and looking at us. We say Hi and then they walk off. What do you think they wanted? Don't know. Then a guy comes up with a fork lift and asks us if we want this. I didn't see anything at first but at closer inspection I see a 1/4 load of 4x4's on a pallet. I say yes excitedly. They keep coming and looking at us and next they bring us a metal container of larger pieces of dry wood. YES! Then another guy comes up and asks us how much more we want. My Owl says "How much more you got?" They then bring us a big box of wood. It was gorgeous wood. It is very expensive deck wood. We believe we got enough to do a project on our fixer upper of a house. We were amazed to see how God was blessing us. We had come upon a budget crises until the first of the month and did not have any money to buy wood. We usually heat with oil or gas but since buying our house we can't run the furnace because the ducts need cleaned. The money hasn't been there to do this and the wood has miraculously come in this winter. I stand (or sit) amazed at God's generosity. We have not had to buy wood since buying this house. We do want to fix the ducts and furnace and get oil in the tank eventually, but it will take quite a bit of money because the oil prices are high. We are warm tonight as the wood burned so nicely. The wood we were down to was very wet and slimmy. It was not putting out much heat. It was pooring down rain most of the day but of course, not while we got the wood. God is good!

I happily scrapbooked several pages by our warm fire. I loved sitting here watching the fire and doing what I love. I pray you all are doing things you equally enjoy. Have a great night.

4 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

wow thats cool! Deck wood!

We buy our wood every September. We have a least fove cords out here. I dont know, I guess it's a left over from childhood, but having wood in the shed makes me feel safe. Ya know?

Kanga said...

Yes, I know. I haven't felt very secure lately. However, I can see that relying on the Lord is a good excersize. I so excited about the wood we got. We are going to use it in the laundry room for a half wall. Then the master bath will look like a sauna, sort of. See Ya

Mrs. Darling said...

Okay so hi ho hi ho off to work you went. Are you home from work yet?

Meg: said...

Wow!